2. Don't change who you are or how you behave based upon others actions. Don’t let it impact you. Don’t treat someone as bad as they are but instead treat them as good as you are.
3. Our homes are a direct reflection of how we are feeling about our lives so if your house is chaos, what does that say about you internally?
4. You have to make room in your current life by relinquishing things to open up space for new things.
5. You're going to get hurt but it doesn't define who you are.
6. You don't need approval from others about your choices, behaviors or appearance.
7. Speak to yourself as you would your best friend - Negative self-talk isn't allowed.
8. Like what you like - you don't need anyone else to like it. Own you!
9. Not everyone you work with will like you and that's ok. There are different management styles and personalities. Sometimes you just aren't going to be able to work with someone so don’t let that one person make you feel less about yourself.
10. Raise your bar of expectations for those you let into your life. If they can't handle it, then let them go. It's ok. Not everyone is meant to stay, some are just lessons.
11. You are enough - right now - just as you are.
12. Don’t let fear control you or stop you from what you want to do the most. Have courage instead – courage isn’t the absence of fear but the ability to push forward despite fear.
13. Often times you know what you should do to take care of yourself and you are going to choose to ignore it. That's ok. Just accept the consequences of that and remember that you have the power to change it at any time.
14. Stop comparing yourself to others - we each have our own story and you will never truly know all about someone, what they've been through, why they are the way they are, or why they have what they have.
15. We train people how to treat us by what we accept from them.
16. They say time heals all wounds but that's not true, some wounds you just get better at coping with.
17. You have to take care of you because no one else is going to do it for you, no matter how much you wished they would.
18. Happiness comes from within. The perfect body, the perfect house, the perfect job, the perfect __(Insert Whatever Here)__ won’t make you happy!
19. Be comfortable in your own skin. Love yourself just as you are right now.
20. Take the lessons you've learned from getting involved with emotionally unavailable people, bid them adieu and move on.
21. We're all flawed - some you can see, some you cannot.
22. We all have a part of us that we have hidden from every single person on the planet and that's ok, you aren't required to share every single facet of your being. It's ok to keep a part of you just for you. That’s not being selfish.
23. Life is messy - thank God for showers.
24. You can't shut off one emotion without shutting them all down.
25. Someone can love you to the best of their ability and it still not be the kind of love you want or need.
26. I know some extremely wealthy people – it doesn’t make them rich.
27. The world will go on without you - we are all just penciled in.
28. They'll either get over it or die pissed off - either way, it isn't your issue.
29. Pain moves you to grow - suffering is what really hurts and you have a choice whether or not to participate in it.
30. Slow down – sometimes it’s best to just relax and enjoy things at your own pace. So what if you don’t see all 13 top items to see in an area. Perhaps you’ll show more appreciation to the top 3 instead.
31. Sometimes you just have to unplug from the world to recharge your batteries.
32. Make your home your sanctuary from the rest of the world.
33. Laughter is great for the soul. Laugh and smile every day.
34. There’s music for every emotion you’ll ever feel.
35. Reality is – not everyone makes the team, there’s no trophy for just being on the team – leave your mark on life.
36. Learn to enjoy doing things alone. If you don’t enjoy your own company, how can you expect anyone else to?
37. Alone doesn’t mean lonely.
38. There’s a reason why some people leave your life. Believe that it is the best decision and don’t chase them.
39. It’s ok not to have all of the answers. How else will you ever learn anything?
40. Those who you hear speak about others behind their backs are also speaking about you behind yours - so give them something to talk about.
41. Give yourself compliments! Be your biggest fan!
42. Realize there is ALWAYS someone worse off than you – this doesn’t mean that what you are going through should mean any less to you but you might use it to change your perspective a bit.
43. Relationships are two way streets. Make sure there’s travel on both sides of the road.
44. You can’t motivate people. You can inspire them but they have to motivate themselves.
45. Expectations are a killer and will set you up for sheer disappointment. It’s a long fall off that pedestal.
46. For God sake stop taking life so serious all the time! Laugh, smile, and joke around!!
47. Do your best then forget the rest.
48. At some point, you have to learn to overcome your past instead of letting it be the excuse you provide for your actions which you know are harmful to yourself and those you love.
49. Forgiveness is for you so you can move on whether or not they accept it or admit their fault.
50. It hurts just as much tearing down the walls you build up around yourself as the pain you would have experienced in smaller bits if you’d have allowed yourself to feel them at the time.
51. Passion is what makes life worth living! Find your passions!
52. Life is all about choices – the very act of refusing to make a choice is in and of itself a choice.
53. The only person you can control in life is yourself and even that is questionable.
54. If you want something – work for it! Don’t sit around wishing for it or expecting life to simply grant it to you. Take steps to make it happen.
55. Your word is your bond and the most important thing you can offer. It is the one thing that no one can take from you.
56. Be careful of the words you use. They can leave wounds that never heal. You can’t take them back, once they are said.
57. You’re going to have haters. That’s ok. It means you stood for something.
58. Grief is very personal. There’s no right or wrong way to grieve. There’s no magical length of time that you’ll grieve. It’s ok to cry or not cry, to talk or not talk, to go out and party or stay home and be a recluse, whatever works for you!
59. Quit letting the “could’ve, would’ve, should’ves” distract you from the here and now. You made the best decision you could with the information you had at the time so let it go.
60. Get lost every now and again. Walk off the beaten path and explore.
© Dana M. Hess, 2015