Tuesday, December 31, 2013

One Word - 2014


When I chose "Breathe" for my word last year, I had no idea that the Universe would take that as a personal challenge to see just how many situations I could endure that would require me to remain calm and breathe while my stress meter was pegged.

There are studies that evaluate the most stressful events in life and how stress can affect your health. I took a quick test to see where mine has been, based on the past 12 months, using the Holmes and Rahe Stress Scale.

The Score Interpretations of the test were:
  • If you score 300+: You have a high or very high risk of becoming ill in the near future.
  • If you score 150-299: You have a moderate to high chance of becoming ill in the near future.
  • If you score less than 150: You have only a low to moderate chance of becoming ill in the near future.
My score for 2013? 449

I am depleted. Parts of me are running on empty, others on literally fumes, yet I've still trudged on. I'm not saying my life has been any more stressful or hectic than anyone elses. I'm just speaking about my own individual experience.

My focus for 2014 is to work on things that NOURISH me - things that recharge my batteries, fill my soul up until it bubbles over, reduces my stress and allows me to be the person I want to be. I need to nourish all parts of my life whether they be physical, mental, intellectual, emotional, social, occupational or spiritual. I'm not talking monumental changes, though if some of those occur in positive ways, that will be ok too. I need to replenish so that I can continue to handle all the curve balls life throws my way.  So forgive me if I seem to pause and retreat from time to time in 2014 - it just means I'm regaining my footing. :)

My word for 2014:

NOURISH: To give the substance required to live, grow and/or remain fit and healthy; to encourage or strengthen a feeling or idea; to help something to grow or develop.




0 comments:

Post a Comment